Alcohol detox at home can be a crucial step for individuals battling alcohol addiction, aiming to make the process of quitting more manageable and pleasant.
This topic holds significant importance because, for many people, alcohol detox is the initial stride toward recovery. Ensuring a safe and effective detox is vital as it assists in managing alcohol withdrawal symptoms, curbing cravings, and minimizing the potential for complications on the journey to physical well-being and lasting sobriety.
With statistics revealing the widespread prevalence of alcohol dependence affecting numerous individuals, a proper detox regimen can substantially enhance their prospects of leading a healthy, alcohol-free life. According to data from the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, approximately 29 million people grapple with alcohol use disorders (AUD) annually, yet merely 36% of them achieve recovery from alcoholism within a year. This implies that the majority either grapple with withdrawal symptoms or lack knowledge of the best way to detox from alcohol at home.
Therefore, for those seeking comprehensive insights into alcohol detox at home and essential information, we invite you to delve into our comprehensive guide, where we will delve into the most effective methods for detoxing from alcohol at home and elucidate their critical significance.
Safe Home Alcohol Detox
How long does alcohol stay in the body?
In order to find out what the algorithm of work is during the detoxification of the body from alcohol at home and what factors affect it, firstly we suggest that you find out how alcohol affects our body and how long it works in the human body.
After you drink, your body retains the compound for a while. Though you might not feel high or intoxicated after the peak, the alcohol is still in your body and fully functional for some period. This period is called the detection time. It is the period in which tests can still detect the presence of alcohol in your system. After this detection time, test results come out negative.
But does that mean you don’t have any alcohol in your body any longer? The answer is No!
Your liver will still carry the remaining toxins from the drink, which eat into the liver over time. So, the more you drink, the more toxins are left in the liver, destroying their way in. That’s why a detox is necessary.
Below is a table showing the detection time of alcohol in different parts of the body.
Body Part /Measurement
Urine (Standard Test)
|Between 1 and 3 days
|Urine (EtG Test)
Between 1 and 5 days
Up to 90 days or even more for longer strands of hair.
Right after the detection, the tests might not see the substance again, but your liver is still hoarding alcohol toxins, and only a detox can fully clean out your liver.
What are the symptoms of detoxing from alcohol?
Now we already know how long alcohol lasts in different parts of our body, but what about detoxification from it? You already know the answer to the question: what is alcohol detox?
Alcohol detox is the first step in treating alcohol misuse. It involves abstaining from drinking alcohol so that you can clean out your liver. However, you can’t stop all at once because alcohol withdrawal symptoms can be life-threatening if not managed effectively. That’s why people are advised to get on a detoxing therapy program to aid in safe detoxing.
But what are the symptoms you face during the treatment of alcohol detox at home? Here are a few:
- Mood disorders and irritability
- Nausea and vomiting
- Headaches and migraine
- Rapid heart rate
- High blood pressure
Safe Home Alcohol Detox
How can you safely detox from alcohol at home completely? Here is an 8-step guideline:
- Take note of what you drink, when you drink it, and how many units of drinks you have daily. Start cutting it down gradually. A recommended method is to reduce by 10% every week. For instance, if you normally have five bottles in a day, reduce it to four and a half, and then four.
- When the quantity has reduced to around ten units (or half a bottle), you can stop drinking altogether.
- Drink a lot of water when you feel the cravings and stay nourished. Eat healthily and stay away from sweets as much as you can. Also, Prioritize getting adequate rest and sleep to aid in your body’s healing process.
- If you feel that you need medications, consult a healthcare provider for the right medications.
- Identify and avoid situations, places, or people that may tempt you to drink.
- Engage in activities that can distract you from cravings, such as exercise, meditation, or hobbies.
- Keep a journal to track your detox journey, noting any improvements or setbacks. Speaking about setbacks, it’s not that relapses can happen, but it’s essential to stay committed to your goal of sobriety and seek immediate help if you slip.
- Work closely with your healthcare provider or addiction specialist for ongoing support and guidance.
How long does it take your body to detox alcohol?
The truth is, there is no single answer that caters to everyone. Too many factors are involved, and these factors can either lengthen or shorten the time it takes for your liver to get rid of alcohol substance from your body completely.
Some of these factors include :
- The type of substance (or substances in the case of poly-use).
- The severity of addiction
- Your body’s metabolism and genetics
- Your age, weight, and overall health
- What your nutrition is like during alcohol detoxification.
- Your hydration frequency,
- The state of your environment and mental health,
- The kind of support system you have,
- Whether or not you use medications
- The level of your motivation.
Generally, a 2021 review states that it takes complete abstinence for four weeks to bring down the serum levels in the liver. But with the factors stated above, this is not a standard period.
Relaxing techniques to feel better after alcohol intake
If you’re wondering how to detox alcohol from your body fast, here are seven treatment programs you can do on your own to feel immediate betterness after drinking alcohol.
- Aromatherapy: This method involves the use of scents like lavender to promote relaxation and stress relief after alcohol intake.
- Acupressure: This method is great if you want to curb cravings against alcohol addiction. Focus on specific ear points to provide a non-invasive management against post-drinking impulses.
- Art therapy: If you can draw or color, do this. This process usually helps as a great distraction from alcohol-related thoughts.
- Вreathing exercises: Take breathing exercises and adopt medication techniques to help reduce anxiety and promote mental health & clarity.
- Cold showers: Taking a cold shower can enhance your mood and alertness which is great for your body after alcohol intake.
- Epsom salt bath: It offers a refreshing way to soothe your muscle’s tension while helping your body relax.
Home remedy cleanse for effective body detoxification
Though the primary way (as stated earlier) to detox is to abstain from alcohol. Still, you can foster the process of alcohol detoxification by taking these natural home remedies from alcohol detox.
Lemon and Cayenne Pepper Cleanse
The acidic property of Lemon stimulates digestion and cleanses the digestive tract white Cayenne pepper helps to boost body metabolism and health conditions. By mixing both into a drink, you’ll be aiding your body in a faster, safer detox. Simply mix fresh lemon juice with warm water and add a pinch of cayenne pepper.
Ginger and Turmeric Detox Tea
If you prefer tea, this is a better route. Both ginger and turmeric have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that can aid in detoxification and promote overall behavioral health. To make this tea, boil fresh ginger in water and add a pinch of turmeric. Pour it into a cup and wait for it to warm. Drink with a healthy snack by the side.
You can find this substance sold in stores either as tinctures, teas, or in capsules; and you can take it in those different forms. Milk thistle is a natural herb that supports liver health so is the best remedy for alcohol detox at home.
Best Products for Alcohol Detox
The following are the best products for safely detoxing alcohol from the body.
- Detox Drink: The best detox drink for alcohol detox is Detoxify Mega Clean. This drink helps to remove alcohol toxins from the body, especially for urine tests.
- Detox Pills: Of the many pills on the market, the best is Toxin Rid. This detox pill is also great for removing toxins for urine and blood tests. Note that the effectiveness of this pill differs from person to person.
- Detox shampoos: The shampoo products help to remove alcohol from the hair follicles for hair drug tests.
- Detox Mouthwash: Your breath holds alcohol for 24 hours. But if you need the alcohol gone faster, opt for detox mouthwash products and the traces will be gone before oral swab tests.
It’s vital to recognize that the treatment of alcohol detoxification is a complex process influenced by various factors. While it is important, it should be done with great care because of the danger of sudden withdrawal. You can quicken body detox with home remedies like ginger, lemon, milk thistle, and other relaxation techniques. But you must know that while you do these things, work with a healthcare provider. This is paramount. Their expertise ensures safety and tailored support for successful outcomes.